Border Crossing: Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh
Not only the travellers benefit with the easy border crossing between Vietnam and Cambodia, if there is a group of people who find this border useful, it’s definitely the expats of Vietnam too.
Either you had to do your visa run because you are waiting for your new visa or simply want to explore Cambodia on your holiday, this article will guide you understand how to cross the border easily and smoothly. You can also check the best hostels in Vietnam.
HOW MANY BORDERS POINTS ARE THERE BETWEEN VIETNAM AND CAMBODIA?
- Moc Bai – Bavet
- Bin Hiep
- Dinh Ba
The only city in Cambodia that you can reach from Ho Chi Minh City is Phnom Penh, all buses stop here before you can reach Sihanoukville, Siem Reap, and Kampot.
WHAT ARE THE WAYS TO CROSS THE BORDER BETWEEN VIETNAM AND CAMBODIA?
HOW TO CROSS HO CHI MINH CITY TO PHNOM PENH BY BUS
How long is the bus ride from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh
Normally the bus ride should take about 6 hours, however, this is depending on the bus companies and the border itself. Some take about 7 hours or more since the border closes at 10 in the evening.
What are the requirements when crossing from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh
The requirements are pretty straightforward:
Which is the best bus to take from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh
There are a handful of buses you can take but six hours can be long, for this, you want to make sure to get a comfortable and reliable bus company. Here are our suggestions:
- Giant Ibis – all good reviews both from tourist and expats, they offer really comfortable berth beds, toilet and free bottled water is included
- Mekong Express – cheaper than Giant Ibis, regular seating bus, toilet, and a free snack and bottled water bottle
- Kumho Samco – cheaper than Mekong Express, mostly preferred by the locals
- The Sinh Tourist – used to be popular with the tourist but it is known that there is a fake Sinh Tourist which received bad reviews. Price is almost the same as Giant Ibis
How to crosos the border
- Check if you need a visa to enter Cambodia
- If you need a visa, we suggest you get it from this website to avoid any scams at the border. We have been using their service and never had any issues. Print your visa/evisa.
- Book a bus of your preferred date, time, and bus company in advance. Most of the time it is not required to book in advance, however, if you travel with time sensitivity, we recommend you to do this. Especially if you are not aware with the public holidays of both countries.
- Confirm from your bus company where you should go to be picked up, some companies can pick you up right at your accommodation.
- Once you get to the exit border of Vietnam, get off the bus to have your passport stamped. Remember to bring all your luggage too especially your valuables although there are cases that you can leave your luggage in the bus (ask the conductor).
- Walk to the entry border of Cambodia, present your visa or visa letter and have your passport stamped. Make sure you have all your luggage with you. The border is a little bit chaotic, keep an eye on one of the people on the same bus as you to make sure you don’t get lost.
- Get back on the bus and enjoy the rest of the trip.
- At the bus terminal, you can easily walk to the main tourist area or you can also take a tuk-tuk to your accommodation. You can download an offline map called Maps.Me
How to get to Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, Koh Rong, or Kampot from Phnom Penh
As I mentioned above, all buses have to stop by Phnom Penh before they head to other cities. You can simply book a bus from Phnom Penh to your next destinations.
Travel times from Phnom Penh to the other major tourist cities:
- Siem Reap: 4-5 hours
- Sihanoukville: 4 hours
- Kampot: 4 hours
- Battambang: 5-6 hours (you need to stop at Siem Reap for a connection bus)
- Koh Rong: 5 hours (you need to stop at Sihanoukville and take a boat from there)
HOW TO CROSS HO CHI MINH CITY TO PHNOM PENH ON A MOTORBIKE?
If you are travelling or own a motorbike and you wish to cross the border through driving yourself, it is easy and possible. Make sure you have all the requirements and have done your research on this trip.
- Your passport valid for the next six months
- Your visa to enter Cambodia – get it in advance to avoid the scams at the border
- Documents that prove you own the motorbike you are driving; blue card, receipt of the purchase
- Your valid international driver’s license
The most common and what we highly recommend border you should cross is the Moc Bai (Vietnam side) and Bavet (Cambodia side). Remember that Moc Bai border is open between 7.00am-10.00pm while Bavet is open from 8.00am-8.00pm.
If you, unfortunately, didn’t make it to the office hours, there are hotels and guest houses you can stay for the night.
We hope that you find this article about crossing the border between Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh as useful as possible. If you more inputs from your own experience, let us know in the comment section below so we can add it.
RELATED POST: Vietnam to Laos Border Crossing and Visa Requirements
ARE YOU ON PINTEREST? SAVE THIS FOR LATER READ: